Who Are We?

The NovelFriends are four writers who met through Wisconsin Romance Writers and initially became bonded by our love of books. That connection has expanded, grown, and deepened into true friendship over the years. We look forward to sharing our experiences with you, so follow the blog and join in the fun - we're always happy to have more NovelFriends!

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Simply Irresistible (Jamie)

I have a confession to make, I am an office supply addict. I could spend hours wandering the aisles of our local Office Max, gleefully filling my cart with notebooks and pens, folders and binders, index cards and Post-It notes. Sigh...  



Now trust me - I could probably go for the rest of my life without buying one more of any of those items and still manage to get through life just fine. I can also tell you, that isn't going to happen. There is  something completely irresistible to me about a fresh pad of paper and a fully-inked ballpoint. It gives me shivers just thinking about it. I relish dreaming of what I can potentially create with my treasures, until I finally come up with the perfect project for each one. (I always buy them with a plan of some sort...)



When Back-to-School displays and sales begin, I shouldn't even be allowed to leave my house. I'm fairly certain I end up with more supplies in the bag for myself than I do for my boys who actually do need the things they buy for school. I'm getting kind of tingly realizing the bins of filler paper and glue will soon make their appearance. Squee! 


I'm believe this condition is at least partially hereditary since my mother has never met a pen she could live without, and it seems that my oldest son has developed a fondness for a nicely bound journal and is very particular about his own writing instrument purchases. As much as we all love our technology, my laptop and my iPod will never replace old school writing tools for me.



What do you find irresistible? How do manage to control your urges to keep adding to an over abundant stash? I'd love to hear about it.

6 comments:

  1. Jamie,

    I was like but I've learned to curb my lust. How? I've run out of space. The need for great new pens has lessened since my handwriting went to heck and even I can't read my scribbles.

    So you have my permission to buy my share of the office supply goodies. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Casey, oh wait, that just means I'll be in more trouble. Of course I'll probably run out of room soon, too. Glad to know someone who shares my addiction.

      Delete
  2. I'm too cheap to ever fall victim to over buying, but, like you, I do have a kind of store I could spend hours just wandering around in. But, instead of Office Max and its companions, my fave kind of store is a pharmacy. I love looking at all the medicines, medical supplies, shampoos and all those other wonderfully interesting things crowding the shelves. Ironically, my family is incredibly healthy and I never have anything stronger than ibuprofen in my medicine cabinet, but I do love looking at all the exciting medicines that are out there, just looking for someone to cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, Delia. There certainly are some very interesting things that can be found in those pharmacies. I admire your self control.

      Delete
  3. In the spring, I'm a bit of an addict with flowers for my gardens and numerous pots. I resisted this year though by reminding myself of the hours of watering I'd have to do if I went overboard again. Cut my purchases in half!

    I have never been quite so bad as you on the supplies, but I do love myself a nice sleek new notebook and new pens are ALWAYS fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how easy it would be to get addicted to flowers. They are just so beautiful and smell so wonderful! Hard to resist surrounding yourself with all of that beauty.

      Delete