Who Are We?

The NovelFriends are four writers who met through Wisconsin Romance Writers and initially became bonded by our love of books. That connection has expanded, grown, and deepened into true friendship over the years. We look forward to sharing our experiences with you, so follow the blog and join in the fun - we're always happy to have more NovelFriends!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Year of Creativity - Jamie

Have you seen the new trend of selecting a word for the year instead of making traditional resolutions? I am totally on board with this idea and my word came to me right away.

This year I pledge to live my life creatively.

I love doing creative things and for many years have shoved that urge to the back burner because of housework, cooking, errands, etc. Instead of ignoring my need to create, I have worked out a plan to budget time to work on creative projects along with all of the other things I need to do. I am excited to start working on projects I've been stockpiling for years. I'm even more excited that this is also going to help me make progress on some of the old resolutions I used to make.

I know it's early in the year, but so far I'm doing pretty well. I've set a very reasonable writing goal for myself and have made my goal each day. I've also made a list of the many craft projects I've been wanting to make and am going to work on one project each week. I've already found several classes I'm taking to learn some new things I've been wanting to try forever.

It's also keeping me off the couch and moving around. It keeps my hands to busy for mindless snacking. Most important, it has me feeling refreshed and excited to be making things again.


Here's my first project this year - a no-sew fleece blanket for my son. I couldn't resist when I saw the  fabric. 

What are your plans for 2013? I wish you success with all of your goals.
Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Jamie--great to hear allowing your creativity time is helping you feel refreshed! I look forward to seeing what projects you tell us about through the year.

    My plans for 2013 were to write. Then my hubby started tearing at walls in our living room. I see much work in the next 6-9 months. Oy! But, if the result is what we hope for, it'll be worth it--just like I know your kitchen is. :)

    Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be worried about your writing time in the middle of a construction project if I didn't know you. But since I DO know you, I'm not worried at all. I get my inspiration from how dedicated you are to your writing, so I know you'll find time for it even with anything else that might be going on. And, I'm sure your projects will turn out great. It's hard (at least for me) to have my house in such total chaos, but yes, so worth it now that it's done. I am taking a long time before I decide to start another remodeling project though. :-)

      Delete
  2. That quilt material looks like cream cheese brownies. YUM!! Yeah, I'm not too good on the anti-snacking thing, obviously, if a moustache quilt makes me think of chocolate. :)

    I don't have an artsy creative bone in my body, I can't even manage to hang pictures up in my living room, so I admire people like you who are able to make pretty and useful things. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Delia. I thought the same thing about the fabric - chocolate! But I refrained from snacking. I figured Noah would notice if there was chocolate on it when I gave it to him. My mom used to crafts all the time and I used to love watching her. Guess it sort of carried over. I have quite a list of projects I want to work on already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, good for you on the creativity! I love your positive attitude. Your writing is coming along, and all these new crafts...Delia's right, that blanket looks good enough to eat...LOL

    I made some pretty lofty goals fro myself this year as well. And I guess one word I can use is 'determined'. I am determined to get everything done this year that I want to, and that includes my writing, my garden, my health. Best of luck to all of us for a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Donna. I know you are off to a great start with your goals and determined seems like the perfect word. You are going to have a fabulous year!

    ReplyDelete